Submissions are CLOSED!
Follow us Instagram or sign up for our newsletter.
The Heartland Society of Women Writers invites you to submit your best short fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and art to our Spring issue with the theme of “I Dissent.” Whether it be personal, political, or anything in between, your piece should highlight a monumental reworking of the internal or external structures at play. “I Dissent” is resistance using words and artwork. Submissions will be open from January 4, 2023, until March 1, 2023. The publication will be accessible both digitally and in print. We look forward to seeing how you dissent.
- All short story and narrative nonfiction submissions must be between 1,000-3,000 words. Flash fiction must be 1,000 words max. All genres are accepted.
- Poetry submissions should not exceed 50 lines.
- Submissions are open to those who identify as women. We are inclusive of transgender women and nonbinary individuals who are comfortable in a women-centered environment. This is in line with our mission to support and uplift the voices of women.
- Individuals are limited to submitting one piece of writing at a time.
- We cannot accept work that has been previously published, including on personal blogs.
- Submissions should be attached as a word document in 12 point Times New Roman font, double-spaced. Please include your name in the document title.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted with gratitude! Please notify us right away if it has been accepted elsewhere.
- You retain all legal rights to your story if published by HLWW.
- We reserve the right to reject your story at our discretion.
- If you have submitted to us before, we welcome you to submit to us again.
Thank you for considering us for your submission!
Questions? Email them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short Stories & Flash Fiction Submissions